The Monastery of Giromeri was founded in the beginning of the 14th century (between 1310 and 1320), at a time of prosperity of the Despotato (Kingdom) of Epirus. It constituted an important monastic centre and was in its prime in the middle of the 16th century, when it numbered approximately 300 monks, according to Theodosios Zygomalas.
Since its foundation, the Monastery had belonged to the Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople as a Patriarchal one and later (18th century) as the Chair of the Patriarchal Exarchate of Giromeri. Twelve villages of the district and Filiates were within its jurisdiction.
In 1800, the Monastery became the Chair of the Diocese of Giromeri having the same area within its jurisdiction, belonging to the Metropolis of Ioannina. Since then and until 1895 when it was finally abolished it had several alternations, being either the Chair of Diocese or one of Exarchate. In 1928 according to a Patriarchal decision it was granted to the Autocephalous (independent) Church of Greece and today it belongs to the Holy Metropolis of Paramythia, Filiates, Giromeri and Parga.
Finally, the importance of the Monastery to the area of Thesprotia has been great during its long lasting history as it has contributed to the conservation of the inhabitants' national and religious conscience. It was significant that a Secret School and a Religious Seminary were in operation on the premises of the Monastery, during the Turkish occupation. Moreover, after some Exarches' actions and with expenses covered by the Monastery, schools operated in some of the villages in the area.