The Katholikon

The Katholikon, namely the central church of the Monastery was gradually built. The Katholikon of the MonasteryIt is a church of small dimensions and is constructed of four cross-shaped columns with a domed roof. Possibly, it was at first a single-nave church, while its present form, namely the four parts of it, is a result of renovations at different times.

Chronologically talking, we only know about the construction of the Main Church, which was in 1568 after a donation from the Sovereign of Hungrovlachia Interior view of the Katholikon(Hungary-Romania), Oxiotis of Pogoniani. The external Narthex, is considered to be constructed at the same time, while the Nave and the internal Narthex are earlier constructions, parts of the first church, possibly from the 14th century. Externally, it is ornamented with plain ceramic designs mainly on the dome and on the southern and western sides. Internally, it is of great interest as it is decorated with hagiographic ornamentation from the 16th century.

The second layer of the frescos (1679) is of popular style of that age, while the first one (1568-1590) is of Byzantine technique and has the unique particular characteristic - Detail of a fresco (16th century)among the monuments of Epirus - to combine the Western Europe Art with that of the Cretan School and the School of Western Greece. Unfortunately, the inspired artist is unknown. The Templo (rood screen) of the Katholikon is worth mentioning, a wooden sculpture constructed in 1824 and gold plated in 1829. The icons of the temple were made in 1824 and are works of Dimitrios Papadiamantis from Zagori.

The icon of Blessed The icon of Blessed Virgin Mary OdigitriaVirgin Mary Odigitria is set in a separate wooden sculptured icon stand, which was constructed at the same time as the temple. It is the oldest icon in the Monastery made between the 12th and the 14th century. It is a two-side icon, which depicts Holy Virgin Mary of the type Odigitria named OPHXHOTICCA (Orihiotissa), on one side, whereas, on the other side, are the most eminent Apostles Peter and Paul.